Thursday, 3 October 2013

Arakan Muslims Hide Amid Deadly Sectarian Clashes in Thandwe












Print This Post


Muslims cry after losing their homes in recent violence in Thapyu Kyain village, outside of Thandwe on Wednesday. (Photo: Reuters / Soe Zeya Tun)



THANDWE — Terrified Muslim families hid in forests in western Burma a day after fleeing renewed sectarian violence that killed at least five people even as the president toured the divided region for the first time.


The violence underscored the government's failure to stop the unrest from spreading since it erupted last year, costing hundreds of people their lives and many thousands their homes.


Tuesday's unrest near the coastal town of Thandwe saw Buddhist mobs kill a 94-year-old woman and four other Muslims and burn dozens of homes.


Thein Sein arrived in Thandwe on Wednesday, the second day of his visit to Arakan state, and met leaders from both communities.


In a message to religious leaders that ran in Burma's state-run newspapers, Thein Sein said the sectarian unrest threatens the government's reform process "and tarnishes the national image internationally."


State television broadcast a statement Wednesday night from the president expressing sadness over the violence and saying the government would pursue justice. It did not say how many people were injured or killed.


Thein Sein has been widely praised for overseeing an unprecedented political opening in the Southeast Asian nation since the army ceded power two years ago to a nominally civilian government led by retired military officers.


But rights groups also accuse his government of tolerating, or even abetting, what they describe as ethnic cleansing directed against the Muslim Rohingya minority in Burma, also known as Burma. They say authorities have done little to crack down on religious intolerance and failed to bridge a divide that has left hundreds of thousands of Muslims marginalized and segregated, many of them confined by security forces in inadequately equipped camps for those who fled their homes.


"It's just a political game," said Hla Sein, a 54-year-old Muslim man speaking at a house in Thandwe.


"The president is the most responsible person in the country. Up until now, when Muslim people have been killed, their property destroyed, he's been silent," he said, as six men sitting with him nodded in agreement.


He blamed ultra-nationalist Buddhists for sowing divisions between Buddhists and Muslims who until now have been living peacefully together.


Two of his cousins' houses were burned down a day ahead of Thein Sein's arrival. Witnesses said soldiers and police made no efforts to step in to try to stop violence that afflicted several villages.


In Thapyu Kyain village, about 20 kilometers (12 miles) north of Thandwe, more than 700 rioters, some swinging swords, took to the streets Tuesday, police officer Kyaw Naing said. A 94-year-old Muslim woman died from stab wounds in the clashes that followed, the officer said, adding that between 70 and 80 houses were set on fire. Another officer, however, said only 19 homes were burned.


Thandwe township police confirmed Wednesday that the bodies of four Muslim men were found in the village.


A Muslim resident of Thandwe, Myo Min, said he was concerned about the safety of families who fled Tuesday's violence. Many families in Thapyu Kyain village, he said, fled into forests when their village was attacked.


"Many of them, including women and children, are still hiding, and they are cornered and unable to come out," Myo Min said. "They need food and water, and Muslim elders are discussing with authorities to evacuate them or send food."


There was at least one account of a revenge attack.


Thaung Shwe, 40, said a group of Muslims including some women attacked him and five other persons who were passing through the village of Shweli on Tuesday. Four managed to escape with injuries but two were missing, he said. An Associated Press reporter saw building smoldering in the village, which is about 32 kilometers (20 miles) from Thandwe.


Sectarian clashes that began in Arakan in June 2012 have since morphed into an anti-Muslim campaign that has spread to towns and villages nationwide. So far, hundreds of people have been killed and more than 140,000 have fled their homes, the vast majority of them Muslims.


Most of those targeted in Arakan state have been ethnic Rohingya Muslims, considered by many in the country to be illegal migrants from Bangladesh, though many of their families arrived generations ago. But in the latest flare-up this week, the victims were Kaman, another Muslim minority group, whose citizenship is recognized.


Muslims, who account for about 4 percent of Burma's roughly 60 million people, have been the main victims of the violence, but they have been prosecuted for crimes related to the clashes far more often than members of the Buddhist majority.




Related Posts :

  • An attack on Muslim-owned homes in Thandwe in June left several homes destroyed. (Photo: Steve Tickner / The Irrawaddy)Update: 1 Muslim Killed, 35 Houses Torched After Violence Erupts in Southern Arakan State
  • Policemen move towards burning houses during fighting between Buddhist Rakhine and Muslim Rohingya communities in Sittwe in June 2012. (PHOTO: Reuters)More Than 70 Rohingyas Handed Lengthy Prison Sentences
  • Campaigners advocating a greater share of local natural resource revenues gather petition signatures in Rathedaung Township, Arakan State, on Sunday. (Photo: Narinjara)Arakan Residents Push for More Benefits From State's Resources
  • UN special rapporteur Tomas Ojea Quintana is seen in Rangoon in July last year. The UN envoy is now visiting Arakan State and will travel to other areas of the country to assess the human rights situation. (Photo: The Irrawaddy)Arakanese Protesters Greet UN Envoy in West Burma
  • Rohingya people perennially leave their homes and families in Burma and Bangladesh, where they face extreme discrimination and are denied citizenship. (Photo: Reuters)Nauru Agrees to Settle Refugees for Australia



Source: http://www.news.myanmaronlinecentre.com/2013/10/03/arakan-muslims-hide-amid-deadly-sectarian-clashes-in-thandwe/

No comments:

Post a Comment