Thursday, 3 October 2013

Mandalay officials deport more illegal workers

Mandalay officials deport more illegal workers

By Khin Su Wai   |   Sunday, 29 September 2013

Foreign workers in Mandalay Region who have broken immigration rules are being deported in a crackdown, officials say. In one recent case, a Chinese mining worker was sent home after being involved in an explosion, when it was found that he had been working without authorisation.

The explosion, at the mining company Sein Nat in Yamethin district, Mandalay Region, on August 1, resulted in the death of a Chinese mining expert and the injury of another. A subsequent investigation revealed that both were here illegally.

"Unfortunately, their approval letters arrived only after the explosion. The name of the injured man was placed on the blacklist and he was sent back to China this month after recovering from his injuries," said U Thaung Zaw, head of the immigration department in Mandalay.

In two other recent cases, a Chinese man was discovered begging in Mandalay after his passport and personal effects had been stolen. He had reportedly come to Myanmar to find his relatives. Another one was also reduced to begging at Thazi railway station after travelling to Maungdaw in Rakhine State.

Meanwhile, two Chinese agricultural workers were deported from Mandalay International airport because they were on the blacklist.

In April, about 20 Chinese citizens were accused of running an illegal gold business in Hpakant and deported via Mandalay. Three more cases were reported in May, including one man jailed after a fight in the Mandalay jade market.

U Thaung Zaw said there were about 400 to 500 foreign nationals working in Mandalay Region, mostly in mining and manufacturing jobs. About half are Chinese.

Source: http://www.news.myanmaronlinecentre.com/2013/10/03/mandalay-officials-deport-more-illegal-workers/

No comments:

Post a Comment