Saturday, 14 September 2013

Burmese Artist Paints Beauty in Bathing


























Print This Post






A 'woman bathing' painting by Win Khaing. (Photo: JPaing / The Irrawaddy)



RANGOON — While other artists may go to painstaking lengths to hunt down their subjects, Win Khaing can't be bothered to take so much trouble. He simply invites female models to the forecourt bathing place of his home and asks them to take a shower.


Known in Burma and abroad for these semi-nude paintings, the 41-year-old artist admits that he owes his fame to his "woman bathing" paintings. The provocative series depicts Burmese women in the process of bathing, with water glistening on their skin and wrapping a sarong tightly to their feminine figures.












4x3-12











4x3-14











img_03722x2-5-1











img_2553











img_2566tg











img_2625tg











img_2647tg











img_2794tg











img_2894tg











paint-4











paint-7













"Other artists have their trademark subjects, so I chose 'bathing women' as mine, as no one had taken that," he said.


The goal is to give viewers a sensation of "wet beauty" through his paintings, Win Khaing told The Irrawaddy. That has not prevented some people with conservative predilections from complaining that his paintings are a bit too revealing and racy, he acknowledged.


Despite the critics, he said the works have been commercially successful.


"I have local and international collectors of my paintings. The Chinese and Koreans are at the top of the list," he explained.


"I just present women in an art form and I don't think I have gone that far, as there are some people who paint nudes."





Related Posts :

  • Jam It Right Track 71: Side Effect, one of the country's most internationally known bands, performs at a Jam It! event at Rangoon's Right Track Bowling Centre last weekend on Sunday. (Photo: Greg Holland)Rangoon's Independent Music Scene Comes Alive
  • Burmese actress and model Soe Nanda Kyaw poses at the construction site of Star City, on the banks of the Rangoon River. Click on the box below to see more photos. (Photo: Jpaing / The Irrawaddy)'I Study as Much as I Can About Different Fashions'
  • An ancient pagoda is seen behind Rahanda lake, which sits among the ruins of Sri Ksetra.Preparations Underway at Ancient Pyu City Considered for World Heritage Status
  • A painting by Burmese artist Zaw Win (Kyee Myin Dine) of himself and his three grandchildren. (Photo: JPaing / The Irrawaddy)Art for All Generations
  • A painting entitled Watercolors for a Cause












Source: http://www.news.myanmaronlinecentre.com/2013/09/14/burmese-artist-paints-beauty-in-bathing-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment