Monday 2 December 2013

Montreal's First Burmese Restaurant Is a Gem




Montreal's freezing winters always put me in the mood for a spicy curry. Ruby Burma hits the spot.





Since she could not make it to my birthday party, my friend Amanda was treating me to lunch. We were both curious to try Burmese cuisine especially after a review in La Presse. The restaurant was cozy and cute while the red chairs added some colour. It was nicely decorated with Burmese art. Amanda's work colleagues had tried the restaurant and suggested the salads. However, I am rarely one who orders salad. I'm not saying that they cannot be delicious and good for you, just that they're never in my top choices. After much deliberation about the menu, we decided to share an appetizer and try their curry dishes. We ordered the Inle fries, a mix of fried homemade tofu and chickpeas. The description "crispy on the outside, silky and creamy inside" intrigued us. They were served with a soy vinaigrette-chili sauce. They were burning hot. I almost burnt my tongue at the first bite. We had never tasted anything of the sort. It was different but in a good way. They were creamy and soft with a little crunch. The sauce, which was really spicy, complimented the lightness of the fries. They were a light appetizer that didn't leave us stuffed. Inle fries are also healthier than regular potato fries.





Amanda ordered the Kyat Thar Hin, chicken curry (below left), and I ordered the Amè Thar Hin, beef curry (below right). All the curries are served with steamed rice. The sauce for all flavours is made of the same ingredients that are fresh tomato, onion, ginger, garlic and Burmese spices. The meats are braised until tender with potatoes. The curries are served medium spicy according to the menu.





Amanda had asked for lightly spicy, while I had asked for very spicy. She told me she found her dish spicy. I took a bite and thought it was the lightest curry I've tasted, especially in contrast to mine. I have never tasted a curry this spicy, Thai and Indian cuisine have nothing on Burmese. Curry mixes differ from country to country and from region to region throughout Southeast Asia. I really enjoyed the Burmese mix, even though it was really hot. Unfortunately, we had no place for dessert. The service was very slow, but the staff was very nice. One of the owners told us they allow customers to bring their own wine. With a SAQ just a block away, this is incredibly convenient. I have passed by the restaurant many times since my visit and it always look busy. I definitely recommend Ruby Burma, especially if you enjoy Asian cuisine. It's perfect for a lunch date or a romantic dinner with a fancy bottle of wine or among friends who want to eat well before a night out. I highly suggest ordering the Inle fries. The curries are excellent, however if you are not good with spicy food, you might want to try a salad or another dish. There were a lot of vegetarian options on the menu. Next time I visit, I really want to try one of the salads.



They offer take-out if you're in a hurry. Expect a bill of $40-50 for two people.



Ruby Burma

3685 Saint-Laurent Blvd.

Bring your own wine

Vegetarian friendly

Appetizers = $5-7

Dishes = $15-20





Source: http://www.news.myanmaronlinecentre.com/2013/12/02/montreals-first-burmese-restaurant-is-a-gem/

No comments:

Post a Comment