Controversy in Mandalay over section 59(f) rallies
By Si Thu Lwin | Tuesday, 25 February 2014Government officials in Mandalay have been accused of bias in their handling of rallies concerning proposed amendments to Myanmar's constitution.
Participants stand during an event to show support for section 59(f) of the constitution held at a football field in Mandalay on February 11. (Si Thu Lwin/The Myanmar Times)
Township officials allowed a rally in support of a section of the constitution that bars Daw Aung San Suu Kyi from the presidency to take place at a football field on February 11, while relegating a protest in favour of constitutional change to, in the words of organisers, a small area "beside a ditch".
The event at the football field in Aung Myay Thar San township, in front of the city palace, was also allowed despite the city's mayor saying last month that similar events would not be allowed on its sporting grounds.
On January 26, Mayor U Aung Maung said the city's football fields, which are currently being upgraded, would no longer be allowed to hold trade exhibitions and music concerts because they damage the surface.
"The mayor couldn't even uphold the policy for a single month," said one Mandalay writer, who asked not to be named.
Meanwhile, officials forced organisers of a protest on February 9 calling for amendments to the 2008 constitution, including the abolition of section 59(f), to hold their event in the modest environs of Shwe Ta Chaung canal on 86th Street.
"It shows there is partiality within the government. They gave permission for an event supporting [59(f)] to be held at a football field, while we were just granted permission to protest beside a ditch," said politician U Thein Aung Myint, who took part in the February 9 event.
Journalists who covered the rally in support of section 59(f) criticised the organisers – Mandalay-based political group Wunthanu Sanay Youth Team – for trying to manipulate reporting of the event.
The journalists were told that if they wanted to cover the protest they would have to wear lanyards with cards carrying messages in favour of keeping section 59(f) as it currently stands.
"The organisers asked us to wear cards [in support of 59(f)]. As journalists we neither support nor object to the constitution and just go there to take information. Over the loudspeaker, they also told us we could only interview authorised officials," said Ko Tun Win, editor-in-chief of Shwe Mandalay journal.
"Because of [these issues], nearly 80 percent of reporters left the field before the event ended."
Translation by Zar Zar Soe
Source: http://www.news.myanmaronlinecentre.com/2014/02/27/controversy-in-mandalay-over-section-59f-rallies/
No comments:
Post a Comment